Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lentil Stew and Naan

We have a LOT of lentils and I haven't cooked with them much and when I do I haven't been a big fan. I did a little searching on the Internet and came up with a great soup! My family, even the little ones, loved it. I thought I would make some naan to go along with it. It seemed to be a fitting addition. I love the naan we we get at Indian restaurants and hoped to make the same thing. It wasn't. I didn't love it but my family did. I will link the recipe for it on there but will continue searching for better. Hope you enjoy!


Note: For the carrots I used shredded carrots I bought and stored in the freezer and dehydrated onions. It made things go much faster!

Lentil Stew Recipe

6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped carrot

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed

1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes

2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth

1/2 teaspoon coriander

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, curry and garlic powder and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency. Serve immediately.


For the naan, I used this recipe:


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/naan-recipe/index.html


One it cooked, I spread a little butter on the top and sprinkled on garlic powder. If you have a better naan recipe, I would love to hear about it!

5 comments:

  1. I have a question Allison, are you guys vegetarians? I was just wondering since you used veggie stock instead of Beef, which in this case I would have used(personal pref) and I would have added some grated parm or Romano cheese...you know because my family thinks it is a condiment instead of a source of protein! LOL I'm the first one to leave a comment, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a recipe for naan but I do love lentil soup. Traditional recipes from India for probably don't have animal products because of their dietary restrictions. No meat: no broth. I use chicken stock in mine as I love the extra intensity in the flavor. We also use Lavosh as a cracker bread. It's a little more labor intense but delicious.
    (Jan Godfrey wrote this)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, we are far from vegetarians but I like to do a few vegetarian meals when I can. I used chicken stock for this recipe. Grated Parmesan or Romano would have been awesome! I thought sour cream would have been great too.

    Ooh Jan, you are such a good cook! Do you have a cooking blog too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have toddlers living with me. I hardly have time to eat, much less cook. My daughter does most of the cooking, anyway. Can't find the Lentil recipe, it's been long time since I've made it. HOWEVER: I did find the Lavosh one:

    Lavosh: Armenian Cracker Bread

    1/4 c. sugar
    1 c. buttermilk
    1/4 lb. butter
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 c. white flour
    1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
    Poppy Seeds and Sesame Seeds

    Blend the first three ingredients. Blend the salt, soda, and flour. It should hold together like pie dough but a little softer. Sprinkle surface heavily with white flour. Roll out 1/2 cup of the mixture at a time. It will look uneven but it will be broken into smaller pieces when serving. Roll out VERY THIN. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and sesame seeds and roll over once to press them into the dough. Bake on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam at 400 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes until the edges are golden brown. It will take a longer time at first but when your oven heats up watch closely as it burns easily. I use several cookie sheets and cool them in the freezer between batches. It sounds messy, and it is, but it's so good hot! You can spread a little butter on it. Great with soup OR SALAD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited you have a blog! I am adding you to my google reader so I can always keep up with it!

    ReplyDelete